Innovation: Quality & Safety
Chevrolet Offers the Most Models with 5-Star Overall Scores
Fri, Sep 20 2013
DETROIT – Among 2014 model year vehicles, Chevrolet offers seven with 5-Star Overall Vehicle Scores for safety from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration – more than any other brand and more than Ford and Toyota combined.
In New Car Assessment Program testing, NHTSA gave its highest possible 5-star Overall Score to the Chevrolet Sonic, Cruze, Volt, Impala, Traverse, Camaro Coupe and Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. Sonic is the first and only car in the subcompact class to receive a 5-Star Overall Score.
Federal motor vehicle safety standards and safety regulations are included in the design and performance requirements for every new Chevrolet vehicle. About 40 percent of the crash load cases are based on regulatory requirements with the remaining 60 percent based on General Motors’ internal requirements for vehicle safety and crashworthiness, which exceed federal requirements.
According to GM research, safety ranks among the top 10 reasons for purchase. According to 2012 calendar year sales data, 54 percent of Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC and Buick buyers surveyed listed safety features as an “extremely important” purchase consideration. The same percentage of buyers industrywide also listed safety features as “extremely important.”
“We design safety and crashworthiness into our vehicles very early in development,” said Gay Kent, GM’s general director of Vehicle Safety and Crashworthiness. “We are committed to offering advanced safety technologies on a broad range of models, not just on the most expensive vehicles. All of our vehicles are designed to provide continuous protection for customers before, during and after a crash.”
Active safety technologies, including forward collision alert and lane departure warning, are designed to help the driver avoid a crash before it happens. These and other advanced technologies are available on many new Chevrolet vehicles – from small cars to big trucks. Silverado offers the new Safety Alert Seat that pulses to alert the driver of potential hazards.
Passive safety features, such as Cruze’s segment-leading 10 standard air bags and the available industry-first front center air bag in the Traverse, are designed to help protect occupants during crashes and rollovers. Sonic was the first subcompact to have 10 standard airbags.
OnStar, available on all Chevrolet models, enables occupants to get help from emergency services after a crash through Automatic Crash Response.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.