At the new General Motors, we are passionate about designing, building and selling the world’s best vehicles. This vision unites us as a team each and every day and is the hallmark of our customer-driven culture.
In fact, there are a lot of exciting things to share about our company. Our story starts on November 18, 2010, when we completed the world’s largest initial public offering, emerging with a solid financial foundation that enables us to produce great vehicles for our customers and build a bright future for employees, partners and shareholders.
Leading the way is our seasoned leadership team who set high standards for our company so that we can give you the best cars and trucks. This means that we are committed to delivering vehicles with compelling designs, flawless quality and reliability, and leading safety, fuel economy and infotainment features. All are intended to create that special bond that can only happen between a driver and their vehicle.
Making the world’s best vehicles can only happen with the world’s greatest employees. We take great pride in our work, and take great care to deliver exceptional cars and a positive ownership experience to our customers around the world.
At the new GM, we make a strong commitment to our customers, employees, partners and other important stakeholders. We state proudly our five principles that guide us in everything we do:
- Safety and Quality First: Safety will always be a priority at GM. We continue to emphasize our safety-first culture in our facilities, and as we grow our business in new markets. Our safety philosophy is at the heart of the development of each vehicle. In addition to safety, delivering the highest quality vehicles is a major cornerstone of our promise to our customers. That is why our vehicles go through extreme testing procedures in the lab, on the road and in our production facilities prior to being offered to customers. Learn More
- Create Lifelong Customers: We take nothing for granted in our efforts to earn the confidence and loyalty of our customers. We listen to customers to make sure we are meeting their needs, and are connecting with them on their terms. Through our relationship with customers, we strive to create passionate brand advocates who love their vehicle and freely tell others about their experience.
- Innovate: We challenge ourselves to be creative and lead in everything we do. From implementing the smallest improvements to executing big ideas, we are constantly increasing our competitive advantage to delight and excite our customers. Learn More
- Deliver Long-Term Investment Value: Our shareholders want to feel confident about their decision to invest in our company. By developing the world’s best vehicles, building upon our strong financial foundation, growing our business and operating with the highest level of integrity, we will continue to deliver positive results. Learn More
- Make a Positive Difference: We strive to make a difference in our world and in our workplace. Whether finding new ways to improve our business operations, achieving as part of a team or volunteering in the community, we know that our momentum is tied to positive change.
The GM team shares a passion for customers and a competitive spirit that drives us to excellence. Our culture -- one which represents diversity, inclusion, mutual respect, responsibility and understanding -- welcomes fresh perspectives and varied experiences.
Our 212,000 plus employees work in 396 facilities touching six continents, they speak more than 50 languages and touch 23 time zones. From designing and engineering state-of-the-art plants and developing new vehicles and technologies to creating new marketing programs, our team members are valued for their unique contributions.
Serving as the face of the new GM in communities around the world, our 21,000 dealers are also important members of our team, and are integral to our success.
From electric and mini-cars to heavy-duty full-size trucks, monocabs and convertibles, General Motors’ dynamic brands offer a comprehensive range of vehicles in more than 120 countries around the world.
Along with our strategic partners, we produce cars and trucks, and sell and service our vehicles, through the following brands: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Baojun, Holden, Isuzu, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling. We also have significant equity stakes in major joint ventures in China including SAIC-GM, SAIC-GM-Wuling, FAW-GM and GM Korea.
Whether in Detroit, Frankfurt, Sao Paulo or Shanghai, our brands make an emotional connection to our customers from the very first time they get behind the wheel in any corner of the world.
General Motors continues to develop innovative technologies to shape the future of the automotive industry.
We are expanding our leadership in vehicle electrification with advancements in batteries, electric motors and power controls. The GM team is also working on a range of high-volume, fuel-saving technologies including direct injection, variable valve timing, turbo-charging, six-speed transmissions, diesel engines, and improved aerodynamic designs. Learn More
We continue to create and leverage strategic global partnerships to bring new vehicles and technologies to customers faster. We also established GM Ventures to help the company identify and develop innovative technologies by exploring equity investments in new auto-related technologies.
We believe in acting responsibly across the globe and focus our efforts in important areas, including the environment and education. The General Motors Foundation helps us achieve this goal by strengthening communities across the United States through investments in education, health and human services, environment and energy, community development and worldwide disaster relief efforts. Over the past ten years, the foundation, fully funded by a GM endowment in 2000, has donated more than $315 million to send students to college, keep teen drivers safe, educate parents on child passenger safety, promote diversity and support vital non-profit organizations. Learn More
Committed to reducing waste and pollutants, General Motors conserves resources and recycles materials at every stage of the vehicle lifecycle. We are proud to say that our best practices reduce the impact our vehicles and manufacturing operations have on the environment. Learn More
Our commitment to the earth will transcend the here and now through our work with students. We share our knowledge of sustainability with these future engineers, leaders and problem solvers to help ensure a better future for all. Learn More
We’re transforming our business and building a better GM for the future. We’re driven to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles and give consumers more as they move their way through life.