At GM, we’re proud of the accomplishments of our African American employees. Bringing together their different backgrounds, skills and experiences, they continue putting their amazing skills and talents to work.
African American GM Facts
- The first auto company to have an African American serve as a Group Vice-President (Roy Roberts at VSSM was at the time the highest ranking minority in the history of the industry).
- To date, African-American employees have developed approximately 330 GM patents.
- The first and only auto company to have an African American lead its Global Design Team (Ed Welburn).
- First Fortune 500 Company to have an African American on its Board of Directors (Rev. Leon H. Sullivan).
- Among the first Fortune 500 companies to have an African American officer (Otis Smith VP and General Counsel).
GM Hispanic Employees Are Raising the Bar Higher and Higher
In 2013, Latina Stylevoted General Motors One of the Top 50 Companies for Latinas to work, and we pride ourselves on that. Whether it’s raising the bar for other GM industry workers, bringing to the forefront unique talents, or simply accomplishing their own personal work goals, we want our talented Hispanic employees to be recognized for the substantial contributions they’ve made to our company over the years.
Hispanic GM Facts
- 50% of GM’s minority dealers are Hispanic. In 2011, Hispanic-owned dealerships employed 5,000 people.
- Founded in 2011, Buick Achievers Scholarship Program is one of the largest programs in the U.S. To date the Buick Achievers Scholarship Program has awarded $2.9 million to Hispanic students.
- GM has the highest ranking Latina in the auto industry, Grace Lieblein, VP Global Purchasing and Supply Chain.
- GM has supported the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) for over 20 years.