DETROIT – No other heavy-duty truck matches the GMC Sierra HD lineup when it comes to offering capability with comfort, quietness and crafted interiors. It builds on a 112-year legacy of professional grade heavy-duty trucks with technologies and features that make leveraging its capabilities easier and more enjoyable.
New for 2016, Active Steering Assist power steering on some double cab and crew cab models helps make hauling and trailering easier and more confident, with electronic controls that enhance road holding and stability on the highway regardless of whether the truck is loaded. It also offers greater responsiveness and an improved steering feel – not available on base models or regular cab.
A new Gooseneck/5th Wheel Trailering Prep Package is offered and makes Sierra HD models ready right from the factory to tow larger trailers. It’s available in the first quarter of 2016 for Duramax-equipped models and features a frame-mounted hitch platform and tray that accommodates a gooseneck ball hitch or fifth-wheel hitch-mounting brackets, and includes a cargo bed-mounted trailer harness. A new Gooseneck Completion Kit will also be available from GMC dealers, featuring a 2-5/16-inch ball hitch and two chain tie-downs.
Additional new and updated features for 2016 include:
- GMC IntelliLink with a seven-inch-diagonal capacitive touchscreen features a new HD radio and performance improvements including a faster processer for better performance, as well as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability
- GMC IntelliLink with an eight-inch-diagonal touchscreen features performance improvements including a faster processer for better performance and Apple CarPlay capability (Android Auto capability coming later in the model year)
- High-intensity Discharge (HID) projector-beam headlamps with GMC signature LED lighting now standard on all models
- Available wireless phone charging
- Available remote locking tailgate
- Exterior colors: Crimson Red Tintcoat (double cab only), Cardinal Red, Deep Garnet Metallic (crew cab only) and Mahogany Metallic (not available on All Terrain or Denali).
Also, the 2016 Sierra HDs’ trailering ratings are aligned with SAE J2807 standards, with maximum capacities including:
- Maximum 2500HD conventional trailering rating of 14,500 pounds (6,577 kg)
- Maximum 2500HD fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering rating of 18,000 pounds (8,165 kg)
- Maximum 3500HD single-rear-wheel conventional trailering rating of 15,000 pounds (6,804 kg)
- Maximum 3500HD single-rear-wheel fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering rating of 17,500 pounds (7,938 kg)
- Maximum 3500HD dual-rear-wheel conventional trailering rating of 20,000 pounds (9,072 kg)
- Maximum 3500HD dual-rear-wheel fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailering rating of 23,200 pounds (10,523 kg).
The 2016 Sierra HD lineup includes regular, double cab and crew cab models. The 2500HD and 3500HD regular cab models are matched an eight-foot box, while 2500HD double cab and crew cab models are available with 6’6” or eight-foot boxes. Sierra 3500HD double cab is offered exclusively with the eight-foot box, while 3500HD crew cabs are available with the 6’6” and eight-foot boxes. Dual-rear-wheel configurations are also available on 3500HD.
Trim levels include a Sierra base model (1SA trim), as well as SLE, SLT and Denali, which accounts for approximately half of Sierra HD crew cab retail sales It matches capability with an exclusive package of design cues and upscale interior amenities.
The All Terrain HD premium off-road package is offered on SLT crew cab 4WD models, featuring the Z71 suspension, 18-inch chrome aluminum wheels and all-terrain tires (20-inch wheels are available), unique exterior cues, and interior features that include an inclinometer in the gauge cluster.
Gas and Duramax diesel powertrains are offered across the lineup, including a bi-fuel option that allows the gas engine to run on compressed natural gas. The Duramax has been developed to operate for at least 200,000 miles (322,000 km) on a rough-duty cycle without the need for a major overhaul.
Click here for complete 2016 Sierra HD details.
GMC has manufactured trucks since 1902, with innovation and engineering excellence built into all GMC vehicles. The brand is evolving to offer more fuel-efficient trucks and crossovers, including the Terrain small SUV and Acadia crossover. GMC’s highest-volume vehicle, the Sierra pickup, is the most powerful light-duty pickup on the market, and the first full-size pickup to receive the highest-possible five-star Overall Vehicle Score for safety since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration changed its New Car Assessment Program for the 2011 model year. Details on all GMC models are available at http://www.gmc.com/, on Twitter at @thisisgmc or at http://www.facebook.com/gmc.