SHANGHAI – General Motors and its joint ventures in China set a July record for deliveries. Retail sales increased 6.3 percent from a year earlier to 287,581 vehicles.
The Buick, Cadillac and Baojun brands reached all-time highs for July sales, while Chevrolet posted growth of 24 percent on an annual basis. GM’s performance was strong across segments, with SUVs remaining the biggest riser – generating growth of 50 percent year over year.
- Cadillac sales totaled 12,006 units. It was an increase of 37 percent year on year, making July the brand’s 17th consecutive month of double-digit growth.
- Demand for the XT5 luxury SUV continued to be strong, with deliveries exceeding 4,000 units.
- Sales of the ATS-L, Cadillac’s most popular model in July, surged 66 percent.
- Deliveries of the CT6 prestige sedan increased 181 percent from the previous July.
- Buick sales of 93,347 units were up 4.4 percent on an annual basis.
- Sales of the GL8 MPV family increased 55 percent from a year earlier, as the new-generation GL8 and GL8 Avenir remained highly popular.
- The Envision posted sales of 13,000 units, strengthening its foothold in the competitive global midsize SUV segment.
- LaCrosse premium sedan sales increased 77 percent to nearly 7,000 units.
- Excelle GT sedan deliveries rose 19 percent to over 37,000 units.
- The new Regal family, with 10 variants (including a hybrid) introduced in July, will further build on the success of the popular passenger car nameplate.
- Chevrolet sales in July totaled 37,501 units.
- Deliveries of the Malibu family, Chevrolet’s flagship sedan, more than doubled from a year earlier. It accounted for one-fourth of the brand’s sales.
- Cavalier sedan sales neared 10,000 units in its first July on the market in China.
- Deliveries of the Equinox global SUV topped 3,500 units in its third full month on the market.
- Baojun deliveries surged 61 percent year over year to 71,433 units in July.
- The Baojun 510 SUV sold more than 27,000 units, cementing its leadership position in Baojun’s portfolio for the fourth consecutive month.
- The Baojun 310, with 6,500 units delivered in July, was joined by the Baojun 310 wagon – which sold over 6,100 units in its first month on the market.
- The Baojun E100 was launched in Liuzhou, Guangxi, in late July, giving the brand its first fully electric vehicle.
- Wuling deliveries totaled 73,294 units in July.
- Wuling’s best-selling nameplate, the Hong Guang, sold more than 30,000 units.
- Wuling’s first SUV will join the Hong Guang lineup later this year to extend its presence in China’s passenger car market.
In July, GM surpassed 2 million deliveries in China for 2017. Sales in the first seven months totaled 2,053,409 units.