SHANGHAI – General Motors and its joint ventures in China delivered 272,770 vehicles in April. Sales were down 1.9 percent year over year. The Cadillac and Baojun brands, coming off first-quarter sales records, reached new sales highs for April – increasing 98 percent and 58 percent respectively from a year earlier.
GM deliveries of luxury vehicles, SUVs and MPVs increased a combined 14 percent on an annual basis and represented nearly half of the company’s sales last month. To further capitalize on the market demand for utility vehicles, half of GM’s 18 new and refreshed models being launched in China this year will be SUVs and MPVs. In addition, Cadillac continues to build its presence in the market.
“We are pleased by the response of consumers to our lineup of current and new models shown at Auto Shanghai 2017 last month,” said GM Executive Vice President and GM China President Matt Tsien. “We look forward to building on this momentum as several of these products, including the new Buick Regal and Baojun 310 wagon, reach the market.”
- Buick deliveries totaled 84,162 units in April.
- Demand for the GL8 MPV family surged 81 percent from the previous April to an all-time monthly high of 12,287 units.
- The Envision SUV had deliveries of 15,432 units.
- The Velite 5 was launched in April. Buick’s first extended-range electric vehicle has fuel consumption as low as 0.9 liter/100 kilometers.
- The new Regal sedan made its Asian debut last month at Auto Shanghai 2017. It will build on the success of the popular premium sedan nameplate.
- Chevrolet deliveries totaled 32,044 units in April.
- The Malibu, the brand’s top-of-the-range model, posted a 32 percent year-on-year increase in sales.
- Cavalier deliveries reached nearly 10,000 units in the nameplate’s first April on the market.
- The Equinox, Chevrolet’s best-selling global SUV, joined China’s highly competitive midsize SUV segment in April. It is the first model in China to adopt GM’s latest nine-speed automatic transmission.
- As the largest riser among GM brands in April, Cadillac nearly doubled its deliveries from a year earlier to 13,903 units, for its 14th consecutive month of double-digit growth.
- The XT5 SUV had deliveries of 5,212 units, accounting for more than a third of Cadillac’s deliveries last month.
- Sales of the ATS-L luxury sport sedan more than doubled year over year to 4,573 units.
- XTS luxury sedan deliveries increased 50 percent from a year earlier.
- Sales of the CT6 prestige sedan were up 176 percent from the previous April.
- Deliveries by Baojun surged to nearly 60,000 units in April.
- The Baojun 510 small SUV became the brand’s best-selling model in its second full month on the market, surpassing 20,000 deliveries in April.
- The Baojun 730 MPV had sales of over 18,000 units, as it strengthened its segment-leading position.
- The Baojun 310 wagon made its debut in April. The brand’s first wagon is targeting the entry-level passenger car segment, offering versatility with added room for cargo.
- Wuling delivered 82,679 units in April, continuing its lead in the commercial vehicle market.
- The Hong Guang S MPV family sold 33,571 units in April, advancing Wuling’s strategic transformation into a passenger car maker.
The Hong Guang S3 was unveiled in April. The brand’s first SUV will enable Wuling to explore China’s fastest-growing vehicle segment by leveraging China’s best-selling nameplate, Hong Guang.