SHANGHAI – General Motors and its joint ventures delivered an August record 328,425 vehicles in China. Retail sales were up 12 percent year on year, giving the company its highest growth in five months.
Buick, Cadillac and Baojun each had their best ever August sales results. Chevrolet sales surged 21 percent on an annual basis. SUVs remained the fastest-growing segment for GM, with demand rising 57 percent year over year. Demand for Cadillac luxury vehicles was up 51 percent from a year earlier, making August the brand’s 18th consecutive month of double-digit growth.
- Cadillac sales totaled 15,014 units.
- Cadillac’s best-selling model, the XT5 luxury SUV, increased deliveries by 73 percent from the previous August to nearly 5,400 units. A mild hybrid version was launched in late August to enrich its offerings.
- Sales of the ATS-L luxury sport sedan rose 63 percent to over 5,200 units.
- Deliveries of the CT6 prestige sedan surged 81 percent from a year earlier.
- “Cadillac’s strong lineup, unique brand philosophy and premium customer experience are taking it to the next level of competition in China’s luxury vehicle market,” said Andreas Schaaf, Cadillac vice president and general director of SAIC-GM’s Cadillac Division. “Our goal is for Cadillac to become a top-tier player.”
- Buick sales achieved 9.6 percent year-on-year growth to 103,277 units.
- Sales of the GL8 MPV family were up 125 percent from a year earlier, with the new-generation GL8 and GL8 Avenir continuing to enjoy widespread popularity as segment benchmarks. GM recently announced it will strengthen Buick’s MPV lineup with the addition of the GL6 later this year.
- The Envision, with over 15,000 units delivered, strengthened its competitiveness among global midsize SUVs.
- Buick’s top-selling model, the Excelle GT sedan, increased its deliveries to over 40,000 units.
- LaCrosse premium sedan sales were up 41 percent to over 8,100 units.
- Chevrolet sales reached 46,705 units.
- Deliveries of the Malibu family, Chevrolet’s flagship sedan, increased 75 percent from a year earlier to over 10,000 units.
- Cavalier sedan sales topped 15,000 units in its first August on the market in China.
- Deliveries of the Equinox global SUV surpassed 4,600 units in its fourth full month on the market.
- Baojun sales soared 62 percent year over year to 82,658 units.
- The Baojun 510 SUV sold nearly 33,000 units, making August the fifth consecutive month of it being the brand’s most popular model.
- Baojun 310 wagon deliveries nearly doubled from July to over 12,000 units in just its second month on the market. In addition, Baojun 310 sedan deliveries totaled about 6,500 units in August.
- Wuling deliveries totaled 80,771 units.
- Wuling’s best-selling nameplate, the Hong Guang, had sales of more than 34,000 units.
In the first eight months of 2017, GM and its joint ventures in China delivered a record 2,381,834 units.