SHANGHAI – General Motors and its joint ventures in China delivered 367,712 vehicles in January, posting a year-on-year increase of 14.5 percent.
Cadillac set a new monthly sales record in its largest market, while Chevrolet had its highest monthly growth in nearly three years and Baojun had its best January performance.
In 2018, GM is introducing 15 new and refreshed models to support sustained growth in the company’s largest retail market. About half will be SUVs and MPVs to satisfy strong consumer demand.
- Chevrolet deliveries totaled 54,350 units, surging 40 percent from a year earlier – its highest monthly growth since February 2015.
- The Cavalier sedan remained the brand’s best-selling nameplate, selling over 19,000 units – more than double its deliveries in January 2017.
- Deliveries of the Malibu family, Chevrolet’s flagship sedan, doubled to more than 12,000 units.
- The Equinox sold about 6,600 units, strengthening its foothold in the highly competitive global SUV market segment.
- Cadillac sales increased 12 percent from a year earlier to 20,222 units, for the brand’s 23rd consecutive month of double-digit growth.
- The XT5 luxury SUV, with more than 7,600 units sold, remained Cadillac’s best-selling model.
- Sales of the XTS luxury sedan increased 32 percent to over 6,000 units.
- Deliveries of the ATS-L luxury sport sedan surpassed 5,300 units.
- Deliveries of the CT6 prestige sedan soared 50 percent to over 1,100 units.
- Buick deliveries were up 5.7 percent year over year to 113,007 units.
- The most popular Buick model, the Excelle GT sedan, had deliveries of about 32,000 units.
- Another popular nameplate was the Verano family, whose sales topped 18,000 units.
- Deliveries of the GL8 MPV family surpassed 14,000 units, on growth of 34 percent.
- The GL6, Buick’s new compact MPV, sold more than 4,200 units in its first January on the market.
- Baojun sales jumped 36 percent to 92,356 units.
- The Baojun 510 SUV was the brand’s best-selling model for the 10th consecutive month, as deliveries exceeded 43,000 units.
- Strong demand for the Baojun 310 wagon of more than 14,000 units took deliveries of the Baojun 310 family to over 21,000 units – nearly doubling sales from last January.
- Wuling deliveries totaled 87,777 units, as the brand sustained its leadership in the mini-commercial vehicle market.
- Deliveries of Wuling’s popular Hong Guang passenger vehicle nameplate exceeded 48,000 units. The Hong Guang S3, which went on sale in November, accounted for a third of those sales.