DETROIT — GMC closed out a solid year of sales performance with a 3 percent increase in total sales year over year for 2017 and 1 percent increase in retail sales year over year. Additionally, the average transaction price (ATP) for GMC trucks and SUVs has steadily increased 35 percent over the last 10 years, from $32,600 in 2007 to $43,800 at the end of 2017, which is the highest in GMC U.S. retail history. GMC ended 2017 with a 54-day supply of inventory.
GMC achieved an all-time record Denali sales volume in 2017 — roughly one-third (29 percent) of GMC vehicles sold were Denali, GMC’s highest trim. The pinnacle of design, performance and amenities, Denali also had its best month ever in December with 39 percent sales penetration. Four models achieved 30 percent or more in Denali sales for the year: Sierra HD (50 percent), Yukon XL (63 percent), Yukon (54 percent) and Acadia (30 percent).
“GMC had an outstanding year and continued to demonstrate its strong position in the broader GM portfolio,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president, Global Buick and GMC. “We introduced an all-new Terrain in a competitive and quickly growing segment, increased demand for the Denali sub-brand, and consistently delivered premium trucks and SUVs to our loyal and new customers whom we know seek top quality and excellent value for their money.”
In 2017, quality was a top reason for purchase, with exterior styling as the second highest reason for customers. The GMC portfolio is regularly honored with awards for quality and customer loyalty. Most recently, GMC received the J.D. Power 2017 Initial Quality Study – Best in Segment for Terrain and J.D. Power 2017 Vehicle Dependability Study – Top three in Segment for Terrain, Yukon and Sierra HD. Additionally, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety honored the Acadia with the 2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick award when equipped with the optional Driver Alert Package II. Yukon Denali XL also received a Loyalty Award from IHS Automotive.
GMC Vehicle Momentum
- Acadia saw its best year ever, up 26 percent in total sales verses 2016 calendar year.
- Terrain achieved strong conquest sales with non-GM sourced sales up to 48 percent at calendar year end.
- December retail deliveries of Yukon was up 54 percent, and the Yukon XL was up 51 percent compared to year ago.
- Sierra calendar year ATP increased 5 percent to achieve the highest ATP in the segment ($48,000).
- Best retail and total sales year ever; December up 47 percent year over year
- Best Sierra year ever – retail and total sales.
- Best Canyon year ever – retail and total sales.
- Yukon retail sales were up 215 percent in December and up 18 percent calendar year end.
- Terrain retail sales climbed 60 percent in December and were up 24 percent calendar year end.
- Acadia retail sales increased 44 percent in December and were up 38 percent calendar year end.
- Second best year of volume total sales for GMC since the brand launched in Mexico in 2006 (second only to 2016)
- Denali penetration improved by nearly seven percent, from 66 percent in 2016 to 73 percent in 2017.
- All-new Terrain posted record sales, despite a partial sales year due to launch timing.
- December year over year total sales up 26 percent driven by impressive performance of Sierra (9 percent), Terrain (88 percent), Yukon (27 percent) and Yukon XL (26 percent).
SUVs were the highlight of 2017 for GMC, starting with the NAIAS reveal of the all-new 2018 Terrain. GMC also saw the reveal of the enhanced 2018 Yukon Denali, featuring a new 10-speed transmission and interior design elements; the 2018 Yukon Denali Ultimate Black Edition; and the 2018 Acadia All Terrain with an available third-row option. GMC also celebrated selling its one millionth Denali since the premium-luxe trim launched with the GMC Yukon in 1999.
With a strong foundation of manufacturing trucks since 1902 and now selling in a dozen countries across the world, GMC offers purpose-built vehicles designed and engineered to the highest standard. From the all-new compact SUV Terrain to the Sierra HD, our trucks and crossovers deliver GMC’s signature combination of intuitive technologies and premium execution, with the popular Denali sub-brand representing the pinnacle of GMC design, performance and amenities. Details on all GMC models are available at www.gmc.com, on Twitter at @thisisgmc or at www.facebook.com/gmc
# # #