GM Marks Tech Center’s National Historic Landmark

National Park Service and Michigan Historic Preservation Office make site official

General Motors revealed the newly installed and dedicated National Historic Landmark bestowed upon the GM Technical Center located in Warren, Mi, on Aug. 6, 2015  The National Park Service selected the campus for this honor because it possesses national significance as one of the most important works of modernist architect Eero Saarinen. When the GM Tech Center was dedicated in 1956, it was the pinnacle of engineering, design and advance technology, and marked Saarinen’s emergence onto the international stage as an architect, planner and designer of total environments.  
 
Directly behind the landmark is the Wall of Water Fountain, which pumps 6,000 gallons of water per minute to create a 115-foot wide, 55-foot high “wall of water.” And, the GM Design Center borders the lake on the south end of the footprint, shown to the far right.
General Motors revealed the newly installed and dedicated National Historic Landmark bestowed upon the GM Technical Center located in Warren, Mi, on Aug. 6, 2015 The National Park Service selected the campus for this honor because it possesses national significance as one of the most important works of modernist architect Eero Saarinen. When the GM Tech Center was dedicated in 1956, it was the pinnacle of engineering, design and advance technology, and marked Saarinen’s emergence onto the international stage as an architect, planner and designer of total environments. Directly behind the landmark is the Wall of Water Fountain, which pumps 6,000 gallons of water per minute to create a 115-foot wide, 55-foot high “wall of water.” And, the GM Design Center borders the lake on the south end of the footprint, shown to the far right.

WARREN, Mich. – With officials from the U.S Department of the Interior, National Park Service and Michigan Historic Preservation Office on hand, General Motors  today unveiled a 5-foot-tall, 1,200-pound bethel white granite marker of its Technical Center’s selection as a National Historic Landmark.

The National Park Service selected the campus for the honor because it possesses national significance as one of the most important works of famed architect Eero Saarinen.

The dedication of the marker, which required a crane and several people to guide it into place, also was attended by Executive Vice President of Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain Mark Reuss and Vice President of GM Global Design Ed Welburn.

“When the GM Tech Center was dedicated in 1956, it was the pinnacle of engineering, design and advance technology,” Reuss said. “We recently announced a $1 billion investment that will bring new construction, significant renovation and 2,600 new jobs to the campus,” he said. The expansion of the Tech Center will continue his original design style.

General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) and its partners produce vehicles in 30 countries, and the company has leadership positions in the world's largest and fastest-growing automotive markets. GM, its subsidiaries and joint venture entities sell vehicles under the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun, Buick, GMC, Holden, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling brands. More information on the company and its subsidiaries, including OnStar, a global leader in vehicle safety, security and information services, can be found at https://www.gm.com.